The proverbial Apple has a Newtonian significance in your diet. (If you know what I mean)
Since your childhood you have blindly followed the ancient adage and have had apples religiously whenever you had the chance to.
Here, in this post, we will not only analyze the crimson fruit but also give you recipe ideas that you can use and gorge even more on apples. Apart from these you’ll come across many facts that will straighten out the doubts people have about apples.
FACT 1: Apple seeds are poisonous because of their cyanide contents. But to really have any fatal effects, you need to chew seeds from 200 apples at a time. But it is generally advised to be careful and not consume the seeds.
The juicy apple, perhaps, features on every list ever prepared that enlists the healthiest natural foods. Let us try to understand why it is so.
Nutritional Facts About Apple
Known and Unknown Advantages of Apples
- Apples are rich in antioxidant (know more about antioxidants, here) phyto-nutrients flavonoids and polyphenolics. Additionally, they are also good in tartaric acid that gives tart flavor to them. Altogether, these compounds help the body protect from the harmful effects of free radicals.
- Apples contain no saturated fats or cholesterol.
- Apple fruit contains good quantities of vitamin-C and beta-carotene. Consumption of foods rich in vitamin C helps the body develop resistance against infectious agents and scavenge harmful, pro-inflammatory free radicals from the body.
- Further, apple fruit is a good source of B-complex vitamins such as riboflavin, thiamin, and pyridoxine.
- Regular intake of apples has been shown to have cardiovascular benefits. This is due to two properties of apples: the fiber that they contain and the polyphenols that are found in high amounts.
- Apple skin has been found to oppose the growth of harmful cells which may lead to tumours.
- Apples are rich in fibers which assist digestion. Also, the apple fiber keeps arthrosclerosis and heart diseases at bay.
FACT 2: Apple Fruit Versus Apple Juice. Apple juices contain large amounts of sugars and are robbed of the fibers that are present in the fruits. Hence, it is recommended to eat the fruit with the skin.
Completely Unknown Disadvantages of Apples
Apple is generally called as a ‘miracle food.’ But sadly, no single food can attain that status.
Apple doesn’t have serious disadvantages as such but there are a few that people should be aware of.
- An apple, if not washed well, may cause food poisoning. This is because the apple demand is so high, to increase the efficiency of growing apples it is necessary to use pesticides which are harmful for you.
So it is a good idea to wash them well before consuming.
- Eating too many apples may increase your weight.
FACT 3: Although eating an apple a day will help you lose weight, eating 5 apples a day for a week will make you gain 1 pound.
- If your apple consumption increases suddenly it may cause constipation and lose bowel movements.
I hope we have given you enough reasons to not only stick to your favourite fruit but also eat them heartily without hardly any worries. In our next article, we will give you some interesting and finger-licking recipes that involve the juicy apple. Stay tuned!